Tuesday, June 28, 2011

So, this is the beginning.....

of what I hope will be a beautiful friendship.  Okay, okay, so a little corny, I admit, but give me a break, this is my first blog.
   Well, that aside, what I hope to accomplish with this blog is to put out a daily recipe.  Sometimes easy & quick-fixes, others might be more involved, depending on what I'm in the mood to cook.  I'll also throw out some cooking-related tips, tricks & suggestions, as I think of them.  And, lastly, I hope to encourage others to share their recipes, tips & comments about prior postings.
   Today's dish is all about summer, as well as a quick and easy dessert:  Rhubarb Custard Cake.  So, simple, but a light and wonderful treat that will have you wishing for rhubarb year-round!

Here's what you need:
1 cup of rhubarb*
1/4 cup sugar
1 yellow or white cake mix (and the ingredients needed to make the cake)
1 cup heavy cream

Preheat the oven according to cake mix directions.  Toss rhubarb with the sugar, and spread evenly in a 9 x 13 greased, cake pan.  Mix cake according to package directions.  Spread over the rhubarb.  Pour cream over the top of cake mixture, but DO NOT STIR.  Bake according to the directions, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean.  Let cake cool before serving.  All of the cream will have sunk to the bottom, causing a yummy rhubarb custard!  Top with whipped cream, either fresh or store-bought.  Enjoy!  And, don't forget to refrigerate all leftovers!

*For an added twist of taste, you can substitute some of the rhubarb with strawberries, peaches, apples - let your taste buds wander!

Anita

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home